Monday 27 August 2012

Review: Prowl by Amber Garza


Prowl (Prowl Trilogy #1)
by Amber Garza
Pages: 216
Publisher: CreateSsace
Pub date: January 20th 2012

Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Mackenzie Smith is sent away to spend a boring summer at her grandma's. But then she meets Wesley. He tells her exactly what she wants to hear and has information about her past that no one else knows. It's almost like he can read her mind.

Only Wesley isn't who he seems.

By the time Mackenzie discovers his true identity it may be too late. She's in too deep and he won't let her go. Now Mackenzie must call on the strongest power of all in order to save her life.


Review:

*Given a copy in exchange for a honest review.

Frustrating and likable. That's how i would describe Prowl. There were things that frustrated me, but, at the same time, i was really interested in some things. Mackenzie is going over to her grandmother's for the summer. She thinks it's the best choice, after all, her mom doesn't even look after her. When she arrives at her grandma's it's all better until she meets Rhiannon her summer goes all wrong. Rhiannon introduces her to witch craft and the Ouija board. Mackenzie can't help but search for her dad through the spirit world and then she meets Wesley, a spirit. He tells her what she wants to know. Issac, the boy next door, tells her to not to trust witchcraft.

I think, the thing that really frustrated me was Mackenzie. She was so childish and annoying. Well, OK she was fine sometimes, but sometimes she was so stupid and it was so frustrating enough that i wanted to bang my head to the table. It was obvious that Wesley was wrong and doing things you shouldn't be and she was just ignoring it. If it was me i would be getting the hell out of there! *breathe in, breathe out* Anyway, moving on. The relationship between Mackenzie and Issac i was really worried about because i didn't want it to be insta-love. I was really glad when it wasn't. I liked Mackenzie and Issac together, however i felt like they didn't see much of them together. I would have loved to see if they were together more.

The plot and the writing were much better than the characters! Amber kept me hanging on the mystery of who Mackenzie's dad is and kept me guessing. And the shivers that Wesley gave me! I know that i will never play with Ouija boards (even though i wasn't going to). Definitely. Prowl does have Christian overtones, so i wouldn't recommend this to everyone. I didn't mind as i love learning about different cultures.

Overall, Prowl was a enjoyable read, even though i didn't connect with the character but it did keep me interested with a good plot. I would recommend this to people who are more interested in culture; Prowl isn't everyone's cup of tea.


Find more about Amber Garza at: Goodreads/ Her blog/ Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Despite the slight issues you had with Mackenzie, I'm glad you enjoyed this overall! I have never heard of it before so thanks for drawing it to my attention. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this before. I'm not a fan of childish characters either and a book with Christina overtones is most likely not for me. Really enjoyed reading your review :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...